Polish Aviation Museum in Krakow, Lesser Poland Voivodeship
The Polish Aviation Museum took over a few buildings and part of the grounds of the Rakowice-Czyżny airfield, one of the oldest military airfields in Europe.
The museum airfield was, at the end of the 1800s, home to a balloon detachment of Garrison Artillery 2nd Regiment of Krakow Fortress. Then, in 1912, the Austrian headquarters of the aviation unit called Flugpark 7 was formed there. During 1914, aircraft from Rakowice took part in the defence of Krakow Fortress and then, from 1915, as the war front moved on, the airfield was employed to train crews and repair aircraft for the front-line units.
The PZL TS-11 Iskra (‚Spark’) was the first domestically-developed jet aircraft to be produced by Poland and it has been used by the air forces of Poland and India.